Friday, July 6, 2012

The best gift to give a child

On the way to championships for track this past year we had a very interesting bus driver.  He had a doctorate in psychology and so many interesting stories, yet as a retiree he chose to drive the bus for the athletic teams at the college where I coach.  He shared with any one who would listen.  This one was my favorite.  He asked "do you know what the best gift you could give your child is?" to which I answered "no, please tell me!"  and he did.  His answer..."delayed gratification." He explained. "Like waiting and caring for the plant that bares the child's favorite fruit. So much has been lost in this time of instant gratification.  Children are growing up and getting into trouble because they were never taught to be patient and work for gratification, making what you get so much sweeter."  
So we tried it.  My boys are easy they love most any kind of fruit.  But the easiest to grow and care for with children (and for where we live) were grapes and strawberries.  They loved it!!  We watered and we waited.  We took out weeds and we waited.  And we watched them grow bigger and change color and we waited.  We tasted a few that were still green so they could understand that the end of their wait was getting close. Then they were ready!!  The strawberries were first.  We only got a few but they were so excited and now I know for sure the whole process did make the fruit taste even sweeter (and not to pat myself on the back too much but I am pretty proud of my mini farming skills. lol)

1 comment: