Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Community service for young children

This summer, along with fun camps, trips to visit family, and a lot of swimming, I decided I was going to try and teach the boys how to take care of their community.
My boys are young (6 and under) and after searching the internet I was having a hard time thinking of or even finding different things that they could do.  At this age I felt like the projects needed to be tangible so that they understood and could see how their work was affecting people around them.
So I am going to be making a list as things come up of the things we have tried and liked. If you read this and think of any other ideas for young children please leave me a comment.

*We took a bucket and those little claw arms to the park and picked up trash.  Then we played. (There is a great deal of community and ownership that can be learned at the park. More to come soon I hope.)



*We went around our neighborhood and collected a can or two or more from the neighbors to donate to our local food pantry.  I told my oldest it was his job to tell our neighbors why we were there.  He was so proud of how much food he collected.



Things we are going to try next.
-Making cookies and or baked goods to take to our neighbors and the postal carrier just to brighten their day.  Things and people that work or live around our community.

No comments:

Post a Comment